Bent Frame - a fix..

Ok.. as these things do, I haven't been able to stop from pondering
about How to resolve the Bent Frame Issue... so...

Current-best-plan (barring getting the frame straightened for a
reasonable price)..

Acquire a new frame.  Found a couple candidates in Washington.. but
maybe a local boneyard can provide one easier.  Since we had just cut
the old racer frame in half the night before, when we found the frame on
his '74 bent, I turned to Ben, pointed to the box of welding rod, and
said, "There ya go!".. he didn't seem too keen on the idea of welding
the (abused) racer frame back together...

So.. get new frame home.  Clean it up (wash it), make sure the hard
brake lines are OK.  Reinforce where it needs reinforced (spring mounts,
steering box, and wherever else)

Front clip on the '74 has been fully removed.  Nothing in the way.
So...

Unbolt 6 remaining body mount bolts.  Unhook motor from builkhead
connector.  Disconnect brakes from hard lines.  I think that's it.

Lift body.  Insert 2x4s.  Lift 2x4s & body.

Tow frame/motor/trans/transfercase/axles out from under the floating
body.

Disconnect shocks.

Put the engine hoist on the motor/trans/xfer combo.  Unbolt motor mounts
and tranny mount, lift.

Move frame.  Unbolt brake lines from axles, unbolt springs.

Remove frame.  Bring new frame over, install springs to new frame.  Roll
new frame under engine/trans/transfercase and lower.  Bolt it up.  (this
should be MUCH easier than doing it the hard way.. with a body
installed!).

Roll frame & running gear & engine/transmission under the body.

Lower body.  Bolt into place.

Reattach brake lines to axles, brake lines from m/c to hardlines, fuel
line, bulkhead connector, shocks, driveshafts.

Move steering gearbox from old frame to new frame.

And then... install the new front end sheetmetal, steering column, and
other items that were damaged in the accident.

Who's done this?  How much of a major PITA is it really?  It doesn't
*SEEM* that difficult.. but then again, I know better!

Might put a body lift on it while we're in there... no better time. :-)

Nothing is insurmountable after a day of pondering and scheming... ;-)

-Tom