Re: 727 rebuilds for life!

jmbrodsky@domain.elided wrote:

>         Seems like tapping anything needs to be done with the tranny apart
>      to minimize chips and such, also, any fitting installed there would
>      certainly be larger than the end of piep that I had planned for around
>      3/8" of protrusion along the front face.  I don't know if they'd
>      drill/tap that for me.

Yeah, do it while it's apart.

I was thinking that a pre-fabbed elbow might be easier to install (to a
threaded fitting) than your own hose JBwelded.  Threads would be a more
solid solution as well.

Tap the hole for 1/8" NPT (or would 1/4 be closer?  I dunno) and use an
elbow.. in any manner, make one side a 1/8" NPT fitting and hook your
hose to *that*.

>         The drilled hole in the top is a piece of cake man!  What are you
>      stressing over, 'tought to get right'.  Drill a freaking hole through
>      the bellhousing, and make sure it lines up with the front face.  Done

If I do it, I'd want to run pipe the entire way UP from the breather and
out.. just that it's an angled surface to drill on, and I don't (yet)
have a full machine shop... I use a 1/2" drive electric (or pneumatic if
the truck's onboard air is going) impact wrench as a 1/2" chuck drill!
I had fun pulsing the triggler drilling 1/2" holes in 1/4" plate last
weekend..

I think I'm a little apprehensive about strength, too.. just seems
better to not bother with making extra holes in the bellhousing.. just
PLUG IT and drill a new vent.

Then I'm also not worried about the PLUG/elbow sticking out and hitting
the TC.

-Tom (I was lookin' at bandsaws this weekend, too... hmmm... and drill
presses...)