From: Bo Manasco <outlaw@domain.elided>
To: Digest2 <ihc-digest@domain.elided>
Date: Monday, January 25, 1999 3:30 AM
Subject: Lending a Hand

The story
My roomate and I (John Fleck) offer a hand to our neighbor friend after he
has spun a 360 in the middle of the road and ends up in the ditch facing
the opposite direction....
Its a 91 Four-door, primer gray, Ford Taurus.....Lets just say its one of
those cars that the neighbor kid owns that has the $100 price tag and the
$500 stereo...
So he ends up on our door step with his friends asking for a chain or tow
rope to pull him out with...  John and I look at each other and then ask
what you gonna pull him out with???  The kid replys," An Explorer!"
Yeeeah, we laughed (of course)
Then I offered to use my OUTLAW and John's famous tugboat rope!  We would
have let the guy just use the rope but last time he leant it out, the
person rapped it around a sharp edge of frame rail and it put a gash in it...
So, we decided to go along and and help them pull it out of the ditch,
because first of all...if we gave him the rope he probably couldnt tie a
knot with it(not a boy-scout if you know what i mean) and second..it was a
job for a Scout.   The next question he asked was should we bring the
explorer too?
We promptly answered, if it cant be pulled out with a Scout...you're gonna
need a tow truck...
So we get there and see that this kid isnt just off the road he's buried!!!
The ditch he's in is right next to a farmers field, and it isnt frozen if
you know what i mean...  The car's gas line is unhooked and the passenger's
side tires are buried up to the top in mud...
    So we do what any loyal helper would ..hand him a shovel and tell him
where he should dig!  Then we tie the Tug boat rope around the car and the
ball of my bumper, and ask them to move..We decide to give it a soft tug at
first to see if the car will budge, and sure enough it did..
So John comes up to the window and says," Give it as much slack as you can,
and gun it! (since we didnt really like the car in the first place, and
hate the fact of the loud annoying music...) Anyways, i give it hell in
4Low and the car pulls out of the ruts and down the side of the ditch as we
thought it would.  I stop to get a better postion as the Scout is being
pulled towards the ditch b/c of the inclined icy road.  The second yank
proved to be the downfall of loaning your rope to someone...It snapped and
sent it flying back towards the glass ...Thats what insurance is for
right....haha
Well after fixing the rope and getting lined up...The third try continues
to drag the car down the ditch and through the two foot ruts it was making....
So I cranked the wheel and headed directly for the other side of the road...
    Sure enough the car comes out of the ditch and I have four consecutive
Burnouts about thirty feet long ...and 1/16 less rubber.  All in all, we
rid ourselves of the annoying music,  lended a hand, and proved that most
Tow trucks are Internationals anyways...(or you know what i mean).

Bo Manasco
74' OUTLAW
WSU Cougs!