68 parts for 73

>I thought I read something about spring perch widths changing in 74/75,
perhaps

I think the rear changed??  A friend of mine bolted his '71 4x4 front axle
into his 200 (74/75), so the fronts are definitely swappable from '69 to
'75.. I don't know about '68.
Alan's measurements are certainly thorough enough to figure it out.

>I would suggest that you check your Travelall and see if it has the
>shorter springs.  You could leave the 2x4 springs on the pickup like

Having the "target" vehicle, I can say that although Allan may have had his
reasons for keeping the longer ones, the short ones work just fine.  So I'd
definitely swap the shorter springs in to be safe.

>The transfer case is a simple bolt-in, the holes are already in the

Does the TA have the single speed xfer case?  My TE has the two speed.

>parts manual, it appears the 156WB and 164WB 4x4's even have
>a center bearing back behind the transfer case.  You may be

Yup.  With the divorced xfer case, that gives you 4 driveshafts to amuse
yourself with.  Pretty cool!

Still, I don't know why you would bother doing this.  If you don't have it
quite right (and that means pretty much factory down to the 4x4 light) it
won't add much value to your truck, if any.  The aforementioned friend,
whose father is both a farmer and a mechanic, never finished his conversion.
So now he has a TE that drags a big front axle around for no reason- plus no
disc brakes anymore- and the previously drivable donor truck sitting
completely immobile on its frame in the mud.  Now he has a wife&kid, so he
doesn't have the free time to get back down to it.. but still.

Also, usually people use newer trucks to donate to older ones with good
reason. Besides the single-speed xfer case, questions arise about the
relative size of the TA front brakes as compared to what IH would have
equipped the '73 with.   Other subtle but important changes may have been
made.

Sure you can't get the '68 back on the road again?

In Use: 70 1210 4x4 TE, 73 1210 WM
Project (2nd time) 67 1000B PU
Parts: 67 1000B TA   68 1100 4x4 TA  72 1010 TA