Re: Camper for Scout

>Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 00:50:04 -0500
>From: "Richard Knack" <birdman@domain.elided>
>Subject: camper for Scout II
>
>In the latest issue of "Four Wheeler" there is a photo that intrigued me.
>It's in the article about the RMIHR, and features a '72 Scout with a
camper.
>I contacted the manufacturer of the camper and was told that that model is
>no longer manufactured due to lack of demand. Does anyone know where I can
>find a camper top for a 1973 Scout II half-cab? For that matter, has anyone
>tried making their own? I've been looking for this kind of accessory for my
>half-cab since I got the truck, but no dice.

Who did you contact?  When I was at the '96 RHIMR, I saw a red Scout II with
a camper.  It may, in fact, be the same one shown in "FourWheeler".  Anyway,
it was a *new* camper and the gentleman that owned it was able to talk
"FourWheel Campers", or whatever they are now known for, to "custom" make
one for him.  I suspect they used the original plans and changed a few
things here and there.  Seems to me it was in the $7k range too.  IMHO, the
Traveler, with it's longer WB would be the ultimate camper mobile, but I
suspect that *no* camper was ever made commercially for it.  Frankly, for
that kind of money I wouldn't mind trying my hand at fabbing one myself.  As
you know the camper *completely* does away with the top and is open from the
cab on back so you can get to the fridge, etc. while driving.