Re: Scout II weight?

Tom Harais wrote:

> Now the big question for your freind: What difference does weight make in
> 4WD applications? Why is the "heavier" Scout not as good as the "lighter"
> vehicle?

"flotation"

Saw this in practice last weekend.  We had a '79 F250 (custom shorty
flat bed, Dana60/70 w/ 5.38s, lockrights, 38" TSL swampers), '74
EBronco, '78 Bronco, '79 Bronco (460/36s),FS Blazer, "ordinary" lifted
Toy pickup, another EBronco.. and one built Toy 4x4.. ex-cab, custom
shortbox.. 35s or so.. stock 4cyl.. 5.38s or some such..  oh yeah, and
my Scout.

The one Toy pickup was the only 'built' truck that was light.

It was soft/loose/powdery fresh snow with ice underneath.  The Toy
pickup was the ONLY one to get ON TOP of the snow.. the rest of us were
too heavy and were stuck with the "displacment" mode of motion... i.e.
the more snow you fling behind you, the less in front of ya.
Wheelspin.  There was no "floating" on top.. too dang heavy!

Same in sand and mud.  There are places a Samuri will "float" right
over.. with 31s on it.. where a FS Bronco with 36s might have a hard
time 'cuz he sinks down to find solid ground.

OTOH, when there's a bottom to stuff... we heavier trucks get better
traction / more contact pressure.. OTOH, it takes more traction and
pressure just to make it MOVE.

At least, that's what I've learned thus far... ;-)

Oh yeah.. heavier truck = more "power" needed through stuff = more
breakage.

Case in point - Jeep CJ2A with Dana 27s and 5.38s.. works fine as-is.
Bigger tires, more power.. snap.  Put some Scout Dana 44s in there.. and
it works GREAT.

Scout II with Dana 44s.. same (35) tires... = more snaps with the stock
axles.  Step up to Dana 60s.

Same tires... same motor.. more weight.. same axles = more break.

Why do 1T trucks have Dana 60s and 70s (or 14bolt or 10.25" Sterling)?
More weight = more break.

-Tom