Starter Woes-Resolved?

Okay, here goes.  I went out to check everything one last time, and to
try to start the '74 WagonMaster by jumping across the solenoid.  I got
a small screwdriver, hoping I could get it in to the area enough to hold
it on the posts long enough to start the truck, or at least see if it
would sustain a turnover more than just a clunk.  Even a small
screwdriver would not fit up in there to where I could contact both
posts.  I got my wire out again, hooked one end and fed it up and over
the "S" post, until it hooked on.  Got the other end over to the big
"Positive" post, Boom!!!
Well, it did work!  Truck started right up!  Ran great for a few
minutes.  So at this point, I rule out the starter as the problem,
right?  I finally decide I have to turn it off, even though I know I
still have to figure some stuff out before I can restart it.  Turn it
off, then turn it back on to see if it will work.  Fires right up.  Turn
it off/on/off/on.  Works.  Does a solenoid always need to be jumped
before acting right?  The one last night still didn't work after that,
and this didn't the first couple of times I tried, bt I finally got the
wires to hold on the posts long enough to fire it up, and now it seems
to work.  Any explanation, or one of those mysteries of the universe?
I am going to trust it for now, and go try to get my recently purchased
Scout to start.  I'll figure out my fuel line probs with this thing
later!

Michael