Re: IH/Chevy engine swap

PB:

I too love my 304 too. I have taken the old TA back and forth to San
Francisco from Tucson (approx 1000 miles) a couple of times and other
than losing a rear differential in Eloy I didn't have much problems.
With the 5-spd t-34 it's great in overdrive. I hauled the thing fully
loaded with a fully loaded trailer and never had any problems. I
achieved 11 MPG consistently (coasting downhill empty or going uphill
fully loaded) -- or so it seemed. I have also cruised many of the
backroads in Souther Arizona (mountains, etc..) and never any real
complaints. The thing has finally gotten in nead of a full rebuild or
close enough to that it's time for one. It leaks from every possible
place (and every possible fluid) and the  3 or 4 plugs are starting to
look really oil covered every couple thousand miles. Compression is down
in 3 cylinders. I'm assuming this is an original engine with 200K+ on it
(I've put at least 70 of them).
Unfortunately to do a full rebuild we're looking at about $1900 from
what I've found. Over $1200 for the parts alone. So I am pretty sure we
are going to go for a chevy 350 swap. Ouch, I'm sorry, but I can get a
long block chevy 350 in a crate for $1200. So I'm thinking we're going
to go for it. The only drawback is going to be pulling out the T-34
tranny (it's the one thing that is making me hesitate). I hate to go
with an automatic, but am worried about the expense/hassle of a GMC 5
speed (clutch linkage (maybe go for hydraulic)). I'm getting together
with my friend who has done a few scout conversions and has done over 50
engine swaps to look at it. I had a friends suburban over a few bays ago
and it looks like engine mounting shouldn't be that much trouble.
Luckily the TA has a divorced transfer case so that shouldn't be too
bad. We're going to do a cost analysis so I will keep the group
informed. I guess, given some time, I may be able to (sniff sniff) part
with my T-34. I will keep you guys informed if anyone is still
interested.

Can I still participate in this group if I have a GM engine in my scout
(Hell I've already got enough Gm/Ford parts in there already).

Cheers (and sorry for the longwindedness.. )
Eric

--
Eric Hegstrom                                   tele: 520-617-0072 x402
Sonoran Scanners, Inc.             email: ehegstrom@domain.elided