RE: Skip's mileage

I've been driving my scout about 650 miles a week (95% highway), I get
gas every day, so it's pretty easy for me to verify my mileage.  Anyhow,
I get between 14-16 miles / gallon, depending upon wind and how fast I
drive.  If I take it easy (drive 70 mph) and there's no wind, I get 16.
I think that I could probably get that number up to 18, if I started
tweaking stuff, and drove at 60 mph.

Here's my Scout specs:
   1980 Scout II
    304 with 2 barrel carb, and holly "goldbox" ignition, MSD Coil
    3.73 r&p, T-19 close ratio
     32" BFG MT tires
    * everything seems in working order *

A few observations:
   1.  According to IH literature, the 345 got better mileage than
       the 304 (probably due to 4 barrel carb)
   2.  I noticed almost no performance impact when I went from 235"
       tires to 32" tires.  I think the larger size actually helps
       mileage on the highway.  However, the big lugs in the MT, probably
       don't - ATs would probably be better for highway.
   3.  It should be easy to tell the benefit of a gear change for
       highway mileage - just drive the appropriate speed.  The one
       thing you won't be able to test is the impact of hills.  I drive
       across some serious hills, and I think that the 3.73 is almost
       perfect for these.  Of course, if I had a 392, maybe a 3.31 would
       work just as well.  Likewise, if I eventually go to the NV4500
       tranny (with overdrive) I'll be in fat city, mileage wise anyway.
  3.   I think that last statement about everything being in working
       order is also key: especially with a 1980, there's a lot of
       emissions stuff that could break, and then do horrible things
       to the mileage.  I would double check everything.  Many of the
       items that could harm mileage are among the cheapest parts on your
       scout (vacuum lines, wires, diaphrams, modulators, thermostats,
       heat riser butterfly, etc, etc).

I've got a book around here someplace that gives about 500 tips for
improving your mileage (John L eat your heart out <g>), some of them are
kinda anal, but I'll look through it for some ideas to post.

Good luck,

Ken Farmer
1980 Scout II
1975 Travelall