carb issue with my 304

OK,
Tonight I was tinkering with the ngine, I figured I'd check the dwell, 31 degrees, and the timing.  Timing was way off, but it was because it was idling too fast.  I began to look into the carb literally.  I could see raw fuel spraying into the airhorns and splashing onto the throttle plate, hence my rich fuel mixture & high(rough) idle.  The fuel was coming from some place other than the accelerator pump, not sure where.  I figured it was due to some mismatched parts from my switcheroo last night trying to get one good carb from three. I had the top and bottom from one and the body of the other.  I had to switch the main jet (thing with spring pin in it) at the bottom of the fuel bowl to the other body to be compatiable with the other top.  I thought maybe that was screwing it up.  So I swapped it back so now the only thing not original to the carb was the bottom (throttle plate) because it had one of the mixture screws busted off in it.  Wierd thing is I believe it was dong this before I rebuilt it but now the only thing the same is the throttle plate.  I have done this rebuild on my '77s 2210 many times, so I know I put everything back where it goes.
  I'm going to swap the 2300 (without a rebuild) that came on the 304 back on, unless someone can think of a reason why its performing like this.  I checked the obvious stuff like the float, needle and seat (which were new with the kit).  plus the fuel level seemed good in the bowl. Tonight when I swapped carb tops, I left the carb in place in the truck.
Sorry its confusing, I'm having touble keeping it straight myself, but if anyone has experienced this "fuel dump" situation, I'd like to hear from you.
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20