Re: : Radiator Fan Configurations

In a message dated 1/14/99 3:54:00 PM Central Standard Time, "John Landry"
<jlandry@domain.elided> had a brilliant thought:

> When he stopped taking his medication, strange voices in "Jeff Tarquinio"
>  <tark_terra@domain.elided>'s head said:
>
>  >When both of my water pumps "went" they were leaking pretty profusely from
> the area around the bearing.  You can't really see the source due the
pullies
> obstructing the view, I assumed it was weaping by the bearing.
>
>  Tark,
>
>  Not that it matters much... because when the pump starts leaking it needs
>  to be replaced... but the seal is behind the bearing pack.  When the seal
>  leaks, the coolant will flow out the weep hole which is between the seal
>  and the bearings.  The bearings are not affected by the seal leaking.  I
>  mention this because I really don't think the "load" of the fan on the pump
>  makes *any* difference as to how long the *seal* will last.  The way the
>  seal is located and designed, it's unaffected by loads placed on the pump
>  shaft.
>
>  Now the life of the bearings is another matter altogether and would
>  certainly be affected to some degree by the load on the pump shaft.
>  However, I've had the opportunity to examine a pump which had probably well
>  over 100,000 miles on it and while the seal was certainly leaking, the
>  bearings seemed perfect.  The bearings and shaft are supplied as a factory
>  sealed unit.  The bearings cannot be removed and replaced from the shaft.
>
>  I'd like to try and find a source for the special seals... Eldon???
>
>  Regards,
>
>  John L.

      OK, you asked for it here you go:

     the part number for the water pump overhaul kit is 151 353 R92, this
number appears to be obsolete in the Navistar system, but may be available
from Case-IH.

    The contents of the kit are:

     102 069 H      Snap Ring                  available
     400 903 C91   Bearing & Shaft assy       ?         (Hoover 665430-RR)
     73 296 R93    Seal assembly                 ?         (Echlin 291AM )
     215 604 R2     Impeller
     151 304 R1     Gasket                      available

    The Impeller appears to be obsolete, or unavailable.  The gasket and
snapring are available.  The bearing & seal are still in the system, but I
can't tell if they are available , or not.  You can try ordering these from
your local dealer.  There also was a Hoover number for the bearing, and an
Echlin number for the seal.  Maybe the seal would be available from NAPA, I
did not check on that.  The IH numbers may be available from Case-IH.

    Most of the ceramic water pump seals are made by John Crane Packings.
These are also used on water well pumps, and you might be able to match them
up at a well pump parts supplier.

    Just to add a little on the electric fan discussion....    Cooling systems
are designed to do their job in a wide variety of operating conditions.  The
radiator/ fan combination has to be sized for sufficient cooling in the worst
possible situation like pulling a heavy load up a hill at slow speed in the
desert at 120 deg F.  when the vehicle is cruising down the highway, or during
the winter the ram air thru the radiator is sufficient to keep the engine
cool.

     Normally the fan is not needed at all about 90% of the time.  this is
where an electric fan saves wear, and tear, and energy. since it is
thermostaticly controlled it will only run when necessary. Clutch fans reduce
the amount of power required, but never turn off completely, so there is
always some power required to turn the fan, and in extreme cold temperatures
can draw enough air thru to overcool the engine.

   Hope that helps

   Eldon McFarling
   Ceresco, NE
   '80 Scout II turbo-Diesel    (with electric fan)
   http://members.aol.com/EldonMcf/scoutd.html