Radiator Fan Configurations

OK guys (and gals)... without going through the trouble of spending 30
minutes in the parts manual giving detailed specifics (why bother?)...

For the Scout II there are THREE *basic* radiator fan configurations.

1. Rigid mount with spacer block to pump hub.

2. Up until April-May 1976, engines equipped with a thermostatically
controlled fan clutch used a left-hand threaded coupler nut to attach to
the water pump hub.

3. After that, engines equipped with a thermostatically controlled fan
clutch used a four bolt flange to fasten to the water pump hub.

Of the three basic configurations I just mentioned, there was a wide
selection of fans used ranging from a steel four bladed "X" all the way up
to 6 bladed aluminum fans with turned back tips.  In between ranged 5 and 6
bladed fans with steel and aluminum blades, straight and turned back tips.
I've collected examples of several types over the years (never know when
you need a spare fan <grin>).  The fan used seemed to vary with the year,
model and auxiliary equipment being ordered (such as air conditioning or
automatic transmission).

I'm pretty sure that the rigid fan configuration was only supplied from the
factory with four or five blade steel fans... no six bladed configurations.

My 76 manufactured in April of 76 originally came with a six bladed fan and
the threaded coupler nut.  Shortly after, IH dropped the threaded coupler
clutch and went to the flanged clutch.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |