Re: IH engine kits, Oil pumps

As the little green aliens inserted a searing hot probe into the sternum of
"Jeff Tarquinio" <tark_terra@domain.elided>, a blood curdling scream was
heard...

>This is the response from NAPW when I asked the question about oil pumps in their kits.
>The GD guy didn't even answer my question, apparently he's talking about 80's and 800's here.  Whether or not it comes with a rebuild or a new pump is still unknown.

Jeff,

The Northern Auto Parts Warehouse master rebuild kits for the gasoline V8's do
come with a *new* oil pump.  This oil pump *will not* fit the Scout II double
hump oil pan.  If you take a look at the catalog, it will say 304-345 except
Scout II.  Other than the oil pump, everything else is common to the Scout II.
The 392 Improved Cooling kit doesn't specifically exclude the Scout, because
that engine was never offered for a Scout.

You should know that Northern Auto Parts puts their kits together under some
sort of rebate program with the manufacturers of the parts (they get a
rebate... not you).  They explained to me that because of these rebates, they
are able to offer the components cheaper than if they were purchased
separately.  So, if you remove a component from the kit... like the oil
pump... all the individual components of the kit revert back to their regular
(albeit excellent) prices.  So, if you attempt to delete just the oil pump,
you may not even save any money over the original kit price.  You might as
well take the pump and trade it to someone here on the Digest for something
you can use.  But if you start deleting other stuff from the kit like I did,
then you will start saving some money over the original kit price.  A good
example would be if you wanted to go with an aftermarket camshaft and lifters.
I'm sure that if you deleted those items along with the oil pump from the kit,
you'd knock a healthy chunk off the kit cost.

In my case, the 392 rebuild kit price was $599.99 + $8.00 for the FelPro
gasket upgrade.  I deleted the oil pump *and* the timing gears from this kit.
With some or all of the parts reverting back to regular pricing, deleting
those two items only dropped the cost of the kit by $40.00 at the most.  I
know darn well a new oil pump and a new timing gear set costs a heck of a lot
more than $40.00, so it's pretty easy to see the effect splitting up the kit
has.

To the order, I then added the Federal-Mogul oil pump rebuild kit which cost
about $30.00.  The total I paid with shipping was about $620.00.

Regards,

John L.
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the
Conservative Libertarian         |Senate...for an outright ban, picking up
Life Member of the NRA           |every one of them, Mr. and Mrs. America
WA Arms Collectors               |turn them all in, I would have done it."
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | - Senator Feinstein on banning firearms
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |   in America, CBS's 60 Minutes in 1995