Re: STT's

Daniel Nees wrote:

> I was under the impression that siping adds the little cuts like you
> say, but that the reason that it works is that the little cuts felx
> alowing more edges to come into contact with the ice surface. This is
> why Willy Worth found that siping tires works so good on slick rock and
> Moab rock.

That too.  But that's more for slick rock (which *is* Moab Rock, BTW)..
on snow and ice, Snow on snow and snow on ice is better than ANY rubber
on snow/ice.  So for a snow tire, siping is to hold snow.

Your typical mud tire is designed to FLING mud and snow..
self-cleaning.. which is great in deep soft snow and in deep mud... but
BAD when you want snow-on-snow contact.