Re: Most dangerous braking situation...

>From: "Tom Harais" <tjhemh@domain.elided>
>To: "John Hofstetter" <hofs@domain.elided>, <tsm1@domain.elided>,
>        "Steven Stegmann" <s_stegmann@domain.elided>
>Cc: <jmbrodsky@domain.elided>, <ihc@domain.elided>,
>        <dougrasmussen@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re: Most dangerous braking situation...
>Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:58:50 -0800
>
>John:

     <SNIP>

>The moral of the story is, you can't control a skid, no matter your
>training, once the physics of the situation exceeds your ability to
keep
>steering.

Tom,

Remember in these situations you are not on a smooth sheet of ice.  What
happened probably is one wheel may have caught dry pavement for 4 or 5
feet.  This would apply enough force to throw the car around as you
describe.

The inconsistency of the surface is what prevents our great skill from
saving the bacon all the time.

Actually is your doing this on dry pavement intentionally, it is much
easier because you can predict what the surface it.  On real-world
winter ice you don't know.

I have to keep pounding at my wife and kids that you don't know what the
surface is till the wheels touch it.  And then you still frequently
don't.

Steve