re: Alternator confusion..

> Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 02:28:32 -0700 (MST)
> From: Tom Mandera <tsm1@domain.elided>
> Subject: Alternator confusion..
> and the alternator gauge was bouncing
> around in the charge area.. and then would fall into the discharge realm
> for a while.. then work.. then not.. then it didn't for about 40 miles or
> more.. nice, dim headlights.. then I downshifted to 3rd and stood on the
> gas, and the alternator worked again - bright headlights and a bouncing
> Charge needle.

Tom,
Seen this behavior from 3 different causes, (2 in the same car, a '73
duster).  I would drive along and hear a click and the ammeter would
swing to discharge for a few minutes then another click from under the
dash and back to charge. Would even do this engine off, key in ACC.
Turned out my windshield wiper motor had a short (even when off) and had
a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.  This can happen if your wipers are
stuck and the motor is struggling without you knowing.
Also had a bad regulator that would go from charge to discharge in about
a 5 minute cycle.
Third would be short brushes that intermitantly touch, but you've switch
alternators.
Good luck,
Eric