Re: Gold box

> Allan,
>
>         Does this truck have a gold box?  If it did, I would point there.
 Temps
> really screw with things, but a solid system shouldn'tbe affected too
much, like
> you describe.
>
>         Let us know, I'm really curious now.
>
> - -Joel
Nope.  Holley point style with a Pertronix.  But note, I didn't say there
was no
spark, the starter solenoid is not getting juice.  Right now I'm leaning
toward
a problem with the relay that I left in.  If you check wiring diagrams (I
assume
they did the Scout the same way) the normal diagram shows the wire
running from the ignition switch to the 'S' terminal on the solenoid.  But
then
there is a little diagram later, mixed in with accessory wiring hookups,
that
says 'with automatic transmission'.  Well, this is to include the neutral
safety switch.  This switch on a 727 merely grounds the center pin (it has
3)
when the tranny is in park or neutral. So, the ignition switch sends power
to the coil portion of a relay (bracket bolted to top of ashtray mount).
The other
side of that relay coil connects to the neutral safety switch.  If the
switch
has the pin grounded, and you have power to the relay coil from the
ignition
switch, the relay activates, closing the switched contacts.  The switched
contacts
connect to +12 volts and then out (via the bulkhead connector) to the
starter
'S' terminal.  So, even if the ignition switch is good, the relay can go
bad and keep
you from starting.  The irritating thing in my case, is that it isn't a
hard failure.
I went Christmas shopping today and made several stops, and the ignition
switch is working perfect again.  But I intend to look for a replacement
for
that 26 year old relay in the near future.  I'll post it on the digest if I
can find
a local replacement (like NAPA).

Allan Weidenheimer
72 1210 Pickup