HeaterCoreSaga

Tom,
I did the heater core repair/replace dance last year on my 92 Ford
Escort ...I was getting ethylene glycol misting on my screen and a
sugar laden taste in my mouth.  The labor estimate was over $300.
I did it myself ...now I know why it is so $$$, a real PITB with all
those hidden fasteners, a lot of them being plastic.  I would still
do it again myself ...can use the $$$ on something more worthwhile.

Anyway, my aluminium core was unrepairable, split along a seam
...the rad shop could get original aluminium for about $70 (as I
remember) or brass for about $43.  I bought the brass one.

Why am I writing.  Hell, I don't know ...two things come to mind.

I always wondered what the tradeoffs were between brass and
aluminium.  Why was not the cheaper brass fitted as OE?   I bought
the brass ...cheaper and easier to repair ...but I really do not want
to do it again ...ever.  The Scout heater core is a treat to remove
...kinda' like taking toast out of a toaster!  Minus 17 degrees!!!
Good luck!   Mark