HTML/script question

Sorry for the non-IH question but I need to tap the knowlege pool that I
know resides here concerning computers.

Does anyone know of a cgi or perl script that will check for the last
updated date of files other than the one it is called from. I know there
are scripts that will return the last update of the page it is called from
but I would like a way to check a bunch of files and post them in one page.

Please respond me off-digest so we don't waste anymore space.
Thanks
Scott