Re: ihc-digest V6 #384

>From: "Robert H. Hughes" <robhughes100@domain.elided>
>Subject: Battery question
>
>Harvesters,

>But have you ever had a battery 'break'?  Can the plates inside the
>battery come loose, or can the battery develop an internal short?  An
>intermittent open in the circuit?
Yes, yes, and yes. It's hard for me to picture an intermittent open.

>I'm experiencing some strange electrical problems that *seem* like there
>is an intermittent opening *in* the battery somehow.
>
>With tight connections all around, relatively new, heavy (2) gauge
>cables, and clean terminals, I'm out of ideas.

How about where the battery cable fastens to the solenoid. Been a common
problem for me.
Barring that, take the battery to someplace where they do a free test
with a tester that has a built in load.

Actually, even a cheap hydrometer can give you better information than a
voltmeter without a load device. The hydrometer picks up bad individual
cells.

>Rob H.

John Hofstetter