Broken spring perch

Bill Thebert, in the back of my mind, I heard you say "I told you so!"

At the Nationals this year, Bill discussed the need to reinforce the
spring perch at the rear of the front springs.  Did I listen, yes; did I
act, no.  Big mistake.  In the middle of a rocky canyon, the perch ripped
off the frame, leaving a large gaping hole in the frame where the perch
should have been.  My first clue was the sound of 33" Swampers smashing
the front part of the fender.  My salvation was the stock spare tire I
still had in the back of the Scout.  It was small enough that I could
turn the wheels and SLOWLY maneuver myself out.

Now, what should I do?  If I put the mount back on and reinforce it as I
should have, how strong will it be?  I'm running 33" Swampers with 4"
springs in the rocks here in Arizona.  Rocks don't have a lot of give, so
will staying with the rear fixed mounted spring perch continue to give me
problems?  I wanted to do a spring over and shackle reversal sometime
(estimated cost $1500 for all parts and labor I can't accomplish),  but
since funds are limited, I planned on lockers front and rear first.

Here's my choices:
1.  Do the spring over and shackle reversal now, and stay with open diffs
a little longer.
2.  Fix the spring mount, stay with the 4"springs under axles, add
lockers and wait on the spring over/ shackle reversal.

What do you all think?  I now the 4" springs and lockers will take me
farther, but will it take me farther until I brake the spring perch
again?  Man, I hate breaking down in the middle of nowhere!

Thanks everyone, and Happy Holidays!

Mike Ryan
1977 Scout II, 304 (soon ported 345), automatic, Dana 300, 3.54 gears,
4" superlift springs, 1.25" body lift, 33 X 12.5 Swamper TSL Radials

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]