Axle swaps

Problem: I have two Scout IIs I'm building into a racer, but only one
Travelall 3.73 ratio Dana 44 rear axle.  No front axle.

Solution: find a front 3.73 axle or a complete set f/r

I'll call on a set of '77 Jeep J10 Dana 44s I own at least half of that
are in Bozeman tomorrow.. 4.10 6-lugs.. they'd be GREAT and should be
narrower than the T'all rear axle I already have.

In the meantime, I did some asking around.. one friend has LOADS of FSJ
Cherokee and Wagoneer parts lying around, and offered me a Dana 44 from
one of them..

Looks roughly the same width.. I didn't have a tape measure with me.. he
said he always thought they were the same or nearly so.

Anyone put Cherokee axles under the Scout II before?  I'm just curious
about how much wider (at all) the axles are, and any issues with spring
perches and steering stuff..

It doesnt' have to be a "perfect" match for my needs.. the racer
certainly won't be too perdy.. and if I end up using the FSJ axle, I'll
have 3.73s installed and use the full width Travelall rear axle.. which I
*know* is too wide.. ;-)

Any problems with a narrow front and wide rear axle?

-Tom Mandera, Helena MT
http://www.tmcom.com/~tsm1/scout
'78 Scout II Racer - 304V8/727/D20/3.73 or 4.10 axles.. cage.. tilt
clip.. under construction