Answer on Truck Performance Differences

OK, I've had several more ideas on the differences.

Howard P suggested difference in Truck aerodynamics, and I think that's
partially it.

Steve S leaned along the same lines and asked if the endgate was in one and
out of the other.

Well, endgates were in both of them, and both we can consider to be tarped
and loaded equally.

The reason for the difference is that the wheelbase of the two trucks is
different.  According to my guys that set up trucks for a living, this can
have a MAJOR impact on how the truck pulls.

How can the wheelbases be different with the same size beds?  Different bed
overhang.  The amount of the bed that hangs beyond the rear spring perch.
There is about an 18" difference between the two trucks.  On the truck that
apparently has more power, there is MORE overhang.  Here is the explanation
that I've gotten and I'll leave you all to decide if you buy it.  I kind of
do, but it seems a little shaky to me.

First, the shorter wheelbase truck has the rear wheels and tires closer to
the cab and therefore is not causing as much disruption in airflow.  Hence
my partial credit for the aerodynamic theories.  My opinion is that at
highway speed, maybe, but not at lower speeds.

Second, weight distribution.  Loaded, the longer wheelbase has more weight
on the front wheels, distributed between two tires, causing a higher rolling
load.  The shorter wheelbase has more weight on the rear wheels, split
between 4 tires (duals) and that helps to minimize the rolling load.  This
explanation I can accept more easily, as it would explain the apparent
difference in power even at low speeds.

So, hash it out folks.  That's the answers I got.  What I do know is that
there is a marked difference between the two, and this is the only apparent
change in the two trucks.  I'm kinda OK with #2, but #1 seems flaky to me.

John Stricker

jstricke@domain.elided

"I didn't spend all these years getting to the top of the food chain
just to become a vegetarian"