Re: Scout ball joints

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998, Ronald J. Carpenter wrote:

> Have any of you ever replaced the ball joints on a Scout II? Are any special
> tools needed? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
>

>                           Ron Carpenter,
Hi Ron,
 I have replaced the ball joints in my '75 SII.I had access to a large,read
2lb., raw hide hammer and a press.The upper joint is installed and a
threaded sleeve is installed.the sleeve uses a special installer that has 4
prongs that fit into the top of the sleeve.The tool cost $15 or so from
Snap On.The job does not take long but I had to chase down 4 new studs for
my steering knuckle.I went to the Chevy dealer and ordered them.They were
$2.00 each,Both Ford and Dodge wanted $14.00 EACH!!!!!!! The studs are
3/8-24 fine thread.The ones I ordered are 1/16 shorter than the IH studs
but the fit so I'm not complaining.

                         Dennis
                         75,77,79 II's
                         Keeping up with the Dannys