lower gears for auto tranny

Dan:
   Changing the valvel body will not lower your gears.  To do that,
you will need a special gearset, as I recall the planetary/sun
gears are changed.  I believe you will need to contact TCI
or a company that specializes in auto trannys and ask if they still
make such a set for the 727.

  Now, changing the valve body can easily alter the shift speeds,
and firmness of the shifts.  I had a Trans-Go competition shift
kit in my 727 that I removed to put the 5 speed in.  It was a
little much when the truck was empty, the shifts were very
firm, i.e., 1-2 was instant and could break the rear tires loose
in the rain under heavy acceleration.  But it was just right
when I had my 3000lb camper on it.  Installing a shift kit
is a simple modification and replacement of a few parts
on your valve body.  Some of the kits summit has offer
things like reverse pattern and full manual control
(eliminate the automatic part of your automatic) and I
doubt you want these.  They are for drag racing mostly.

I recently got a 727 rebuild kit from Northern Auto Parts
(www.naparts.com) and was fairly pleased with it, though
I had to buy the front seal separately.  I think it was about
$70.  For grins, I took a photo of all the pieces layed out.
I already have a photo on my webpage of an IHC 727.
This one is from a Jeep Wagoneer, but it's the same inside.

Good Luck
Allan Weidenheimer