Thoughts on gasket sealers

>Subject: The Silicone Kid
>
>I have always tried to use as little silicone as possible.  I put
>aviation form-a-gasket to make the gaskets stick in place and generally
>thats all except for valley pan covers

Two thoughts, Rik
One, being a guy, you probably have little interest in personal silicone
implants, anyway. (g)
Two, I kind of grew up on Aviation Perma-tex, and it always worked well
for me except when it came to getting stuff back apart, and then cleaning
up the parts. Uhgggggggggggggggg.

It's not the same issue, but I also really like, and have used, the
copper gasket sealer that Joel likes, for longer than my Scout has been
alive. Always worked really well on head gaskets. Putting the two
thoughts together, occasionally I used to find leaky head gaskets that
just replacing the head gasket wouldn't stop the leak, and I used to put
those back together with Aviation Perma-tex. Much cheaper than a head
resurfacing. I had a friend with a 55 IHC pickup that I did that to about
25 years ago, and it has never leaked since. If he asks me to rebuild it,
though, I'm going to send him elsewhere, 'cause I don't want to deal with
getting that damn head off.
Regards,
John H.