Re: New way to adjust the brakes

In a brilliant stroke of genius, cookiedan@domain.elided (Daniel Nees) blurted
out:

>   As I mentioned to John, I had already adjusted the brakes the old
>fashion way, ala turning the adjustment wheel. It was just that my
>E-brake cable was SO loose and sagging that my E-brake didn't work
>anyway because of the slack and there should be a little tention on the
>cable any way. As I mentioned to John L, I had had the cable fall off
>the brake arm inside the drum prior to this because of a lack of
>tention.

So Dan,

The point I need to stress... just so no one else who's a blossoming home
mechanic gets confused... your brakes now have a firmer pedal feel because
you adjusted them *first* "the old fashion way, ala turning the adjustment
wheel", and *not* because you tightened the e-brake cable.  The fact that
you afterwards took the slack out of your e-brake cable has nothing to do
with how your regular brakes now feel.  It's simply important that people
understand the interrelation when trouble shooting their brake system.

Not meaning to nit pick, but in your original message you stated: "...then
I turned the adjustment nut in some more on the E-brake thingy. This really
stiffeed up the brake pedal and eliminated the need to double pump every
time I had to stop. I would recommend everyone to tighten up there E-brake
cable."  In the absence of mentioning you had previously adjusted the star
wheel inside the brake assembly, your statement seems to imply that you
believed the e-brake cable adjustment somehow firmed up your brake pedal
feel.  The two aren't related in that way.

Enough of that I'm sure.

Take care,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com    |
Conservative Libertarian      |
Life Member of the NRA        |        All the GOOD things in life
WA Arms Collectors            |              are DANGEROUS!
Commercial Helicopter - Inst. |
www.halcyon.com/jlandry/      |