Burnt out coils

John,
Only speaking from my experience.  But, if you hold a test light on (-) of the coil, you'll see it flash, (unless you have it wired backwards, BTDT) just like points opening and closing.  Catch it right with Ign on, and you'e got full power (12v+) running through it.  I had my boss at the time tow my rig out of the orchard and back to the farm.(I had been listening to tunes, ign on, while pruning apple trees).  First thing I did was swap in a spare gold box, no luck.  Swapped in a spare coil, she fired right up, BTW the coil was still warm to the touch after about 20 min or so after I shut the ign off.  Just for sh!&s and grins I tried the first Gbox, no issues......
Only logical conclusion.
However I will admit that I tried the "hot" coil a few days later, and it worked...its my spare now, and has been put into service on occasion.;)
---
Layda,
Tark
'77 Terra 345/T19/D20