Re: Pulsing Alternator (Ithought it was just me)

In a brilliant stroke of genius, rebryant@domain.elided blurted out:

>     The fluctuations are not in any pattern but it seems to
>     happen more often on bumpier streets. But when it is one
>     of times when it has not been fluctuating, it doesn't
>     matter how bumpy the road is, the lights/ammeter are rock
>     solid.
>
>     I'm thinking it can only be a voltage regulator problem,
>     but if replacing the alt/reg didn't fix it then I'm at
>     a loss as to the cause.

Russ and Co.,

I haven't been following this thread with a fine tooth comb, but have you
all been testing the resistance wire connected to the alternator?  The
symptoms you all describe sounds as though the voltage regulator inside the
alternator is being confused and is switching the alternator's charging
circuit on and off.  If the alternator is otherwise fine, this sort of
thing happens when the resistance wire is loose or making intermittent
contact.

Just something to check out... and don't forget to check and remove
corrosion at the bulkhead connectors!

Regards,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       |
Conservative Libertarian         | "There's nothing patriotic about
Life Member of the NRA           |  hating your government or pretending
WA Arms Collectors               |  you can hate your government but
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    |  love your country."
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  |                      - William Clinton