Tachs

Rik, et all,
I had a coil in a$$ backwards, still worked, tach worked on (+).  Electrically, it makes sense that it would work, its just a step up transformer, shouldn't matter which way you wire it.  The + is the ignition "on" post, stays 12v when keyed on/hot wired (don't ask how I know <g>).  The (-) is the one  that "pulses" with the points (electronic, what ever triggering device) opening and closing.  You can watch it with a testlight while spinning the motor over with the starter (not running).  That's the one that triggers the tach to read engine rpm, number of flashes/8 (8 cyl) = RPM.

disclaimer:
I think, From my experience.
---
Layda,