Vehicle Elec prob.....

HI all,

I realise this is somewhat off topic, but I'm stumped
and really need some advice on trouble shooting (I'm
supposeldy an Electrical Engineer - hmmmmmm)......

I bought a '85 Bronco II which had a recent engine
replacement - V6 - same year, same model.  The
vehicle had a "small electrical short" so I bought the
thing for cheap - should have realised, but to late now.

Anyway, there is one wire, going from the starter relay
to the fuse box which melted - that was the short.  Now,
I have checked the wire and it's good to the fuse box,
but the entire fuse box is shorted to ground!!!!

If I isolate the individual wires one at a time, there is no
short to ground - reinstall the wires and their shorted to
ground.  No resistance which would indicate something -
a dead short.........

The wire that melted is the supply for the lights and connects
to the light switch.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance.......

Tom (tomf@domain.elided)
S. Woodstock, CT
1953 R-132 platform dump
1985 Bronco II which is in serious danger
of being insured and set on fire.........