392 EGR

I'm confused... my '73 I/C 392 4bbl has an EGR valve...I'm pretty sure my 72
non I/C doesn't, though.

Oh, I *think* I've got it:  based on JL's BB FAQ, the last paragraph seemed
to just warn against swapping a egr manifold onto a non-egr equipped
"engine."- nothing more sinister.

So I have been subconciously assuming for quite a while (as I've never had
to take an IH motor apart) that the passageways would be sourced from the
heads... that is, whether there is coolant (pre-EGR) or gas coming through,
it would be the head that determined it.

And if he was using heads from a EGR 345,  then I would have expected the
I/C manifold would work....

But this must be wrong, since Bill T's following FAQ states that there's
just no way you can work 345 heads onto an I/C 392, although he doesn't give
details why.

So, enquiring minds want to know (I have only one I/C engine, and my wife
would castrate me if I took the heads off "just to look")..

1) When you put 345 heads on an I/C 392 block, what goes wrong?

2) If you put 345 EGR heads on a NON I/C 392 block, which is OK, but then
put an I/C 4bbl EGR manifold on it, what goes wrong?

Here's an idea- as I am always free with other's time- mebbie someone could
someday post scans of the different types of head gaskets and manifold
gaskets... thus illustrating the differences???  I was at a machine shop
auction last year or so where they had stacks of IH heads, but I had no idea
what engines they were actually for.  It would be nice to be able to
separate out I/C from non-I/C, EGR from non-EGR at a glance.  It would be
also nice to know whether if the parts store had screwed up BEFORE the usual
Sunday night cursing session.