Re: ihc-digest V6 #271

In a message dated 11/12/98 12:20:21 PM MST, owner-ihc-digest@domain.elided
writes:
 I have driven trucks for 25 years and run Colorado all winter I still don't
consider my self an expert but:
> 1. What causes a trailer to jack knife?  Is it the tow vehicle stopping
> faster
>  than the trailer and then being pushed sideways by the trailer? Partially
it's also because you can steer the towing vehicle but not the trailer and it
has to do with how well balanced the braking is between the two vehicles.
Weight of the trailer is also a factor.

>  2. What do you do when you start to jack knife... ease off the brakes (if
> you
>  can) and turn into the skid like without a trailer? Thats a good start I
have also heard some drivers say that you can apply brakes to the trailer only
and it will help straighten you up. However on ice all bets are off. Pull the
seat belts tightand pucker up.

>  3. What happens if the tires on the front trailer axle lock up?  The rear
> axle
>  is free to turn (no brakes) so won't that assist in preventing skidding of
> the
>  trailer? No, if one axle is locked it behaves as if they were all locked.
> Some words of advice if it looks like ice chain up, there isnt much you can
do on ice except make no sudden moves ie don't let off the gas quickly ,try
not to touch the brakes and steer ever so gingerly. I have seen cars appear to
pick up speed on ice with the brakes locked. Also if climbing hills or
mountains watch for spin out, the rear wheels breaking traction while pulling
a hill at a steady speed .The old adage about driving as if there were an egg
under the accelerator really does work. Best of all is if you can stop and let
the roads improve. Good luck
Al Lampson