Re: Dana 20 bolts?

When the truth serum kicked in, Vinnie Moscaritolo <vinnie@domain.elided> blurted
out...

>I am replacing the noisy dana 20 attached to my T19  (wide box). Does
>anyone know what the bolts sizes (length/width) are and the proper torque
>to apply?

OK Vinnie,

According to the IH parts manual, you'll need 5 each 3/8" NC bolts that are
both 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" in length, depending on what transmission you have and
where the bolts go.  The parts manual uses code numbers for the various
transmissions, and I don't have a clue as to which code your T19 transmission
is, so I'll have to generalize at this point.

With a TF727 automatic transmission, you're supposed to use 3 each 3/8"NC x
1-1/2" bolts and 2 each 3/8"NC x 1-1/4" bolts.  4 of those bolts then use lock
washers and one uses a flat washer.  The important thing to know, is that one
of your bolts (on the passenger side) is going to thread INTO the inside of
the transfer case from the transmission.  With that one, you want to make darn
sure it's one of the 1-1/4" long bolts, just in case there might be an
interference fit with a bolt too long.  With that particular bolt, you might
want to coat the threads with non-hardening gasket sealer so you won't have
gear oil seepage past the threads.  With the auto tranny, this bolt uses the
flat washer.  I suppose this is to aid in sealing and to prevent damage to the
soft aluminum alloy of the transmission extension housing.  The other four
bolts use the lock washers.

Since you have a manual transmission, you will still need 5 bolts.  One will
need to be the 1-1/4" for sure, and the other four are not as critical length
wise, so more than likely you can get away using 1-1/2" long bolts.  One
transmissions listed in the parts manual uses a hex nut on one of the bolts.

So if you have to buy bolts before you see what you need, I'd get 3 each
1-1/2" long and 5 each 1-1/4" long bolts, 1 each hex nut, plus 2 flat washers
and 4 lock washers.  That way you'll have every combination of fasteners
covered in the IH parts manual for every possible transmission.

Good luck,

John
jlandry AT halcyon DOT com       | For such a promiscuous conglomeration
Conservative Libertarian         | of numbskulls as generally constitutes
Life Member of the NRA           | an army a six pound pull is well
WA Arms Collectors               | enough.  With an easy pull soldiers
Commercial Helicopter - Inst.    | would decimate their own ranks more
http://www.halcyon.com/jlandry/  | than those of the enemy. T. S. Van Dyke