Re: Unsolved Trannie mystery Solved in the 800

>into the housing
>say T98-148H. This along with other spottings leads us to believe that
>Scout 800s came with T-98 4 speeds. I thought only T-18 4 speeds were
>available. Weird (erie music follows)

John,

Pay attention, Man!

The T18 and T98 have been known to share the same *shifter housing cover*...
which is why you saw "T98" when you pulled the inspection plate in the Scout
off...

Again, if it has a transfer case mated to the back, it's a T18.  (well, at
least, it's not a T98)

If it has a creeper gear, it's a T98.  At least, everyone's said the Scouts
only got close ratio T18s, and the T98 was only (??) a wide ratio offering....

Look on the side of the transmission, under years of dirt and grime, and
maybe you'll find the T18 number... I looked, and the tranny that was in my
'72 stated "Borg Warner, T-15, 7-79" or something... it said 79 for sure..
and I knew the transmission was replaced prior to my acquisition.. I drove
it with the old T90 that my friend destroyed.. I always forgot to NOT
downshift at stop signs... Grrrriinnndddd...

-Tom