Re: 5 speed OD question

Allan-
I can shift from 1st to 2nd in the T34 while moving once it is warmed up, but
with the long throw the truck is not rolling much by the time I get to 2nd
anyway.  About the only use of 1st on the street is the satisfaction of
hearing all those cylinders roaring at a blistering 7mph.
I can go straight from 2nd to 3rd, but it seems to like the slightest of
pauses at the point of tension before the final drop into 3rd, if that makes
sense.  It does sound like a 2-3 synchro problem.  Bet you just love the
thought of dropping that beast out again.
Your web site is hugely informative, though last time I was on it didn't seem
that the axle info page was finished.  I have been wondering what I have.
Line set says FA 15 FRT AXLE 4.09 and    RA 11 SR AXLE PWR LK4.1.  Are these
IH built, or Dana series?
Dennis Millward

Allan W. wrote,

Dennis:

   I didn't realize you have a T-34 too.  Got a couple questions:  can you

shift into second while moving?  I can't, it grinds every time.  So, that

granny first is really no use except extreme crawling.  And, third has

a similar problem,  I have to either shift REAL slow, pausing between

gears,

or double clutch, which effectively slows my shifting down, but seems to

allow

going into third without grinding a little quicker.  My tranny came from a

Travelall that had real high gears, something like 3.23.  I have a theory

that

the guy that ordered it spent a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd, and little time

in 4th and 5th, with those kind of gears.  And yes, I have the line ticket

someplace, it came from the factory with those gears!  I think as a result

of excessive use of 2nd and 3rd, my synchro for those is shot.  But

I'd like to hear if they are all this way, or it is just mine.

I realize it isn't going to shift like a late model car 5 speed, but the

way mine

is makes me not like it too much.  I do like the way it drops the RPM

to about 2100 at 60MPH in 5th (4.10 rear, LT235/85R16 BFGs).

Allan Weidenheimer