DieselBugBitesAgain

Well ...I have always wanted to mess about with a diesel and lately,
this bug has been biting again.  I am thinking of seeking a turbo
diesel '80 Nissan Scout engine.  So here goes:

As far as diesels go, I am led to believe this Nissan engine has a
few shortcomings.  Is this true???  Turbo or non-turbo???
I have read all about diesel maintenance and how mportant it is
...I understand and can do all of it ...just want to pick something
that I will be happy with.  Underpowered you say????

Am I better served to seek a newer designed diesel and make it a full
blown research project (motor mount fab/ gearbox adaptor, etc....).

Last, all comments invited on 4 vs 6 cylinder diesel engines???
Thanks!   Mark