Re: 69 Scout 800

Scot Clayton wrote:
> I'm planning on putting Dana 44's under it, and swapping out the 3 speed,
etc. Can you guys give me the specifics on this body style? Such as
wheelbase, stock axle widths vs. Scout II widths...depending on the "room"
I have, I might even go to a NV4500, Dana 300 setup, etc..<

Scot,

  You already have a 44 in the rear.  Probably a Dana 30 in the front,
although it might be a 27.  Depending on your intented use, a Dana 30
should be strong enough.

  The brakes are a little weak on 800's.  Fairly easy to put front disks on
the Dana 27/30.  Plus the larger Scout II rear drums.

  The easiest tranny swap is to a 727.  The 800 is quite a bit lighter than
the Scout II's,  even with only a V266 the 727 does a good job.

  Another easy swap is adding Scout II power steering.   The stock steering
is a bear, especially with oversize tires.

  Fix the brakes, steering and a better tranny and you'll have a really
nice driving rig.  IMHO, 800's with stock brakes and steering are hazards
on the road.

  Scout II axles are about an inch wider on each side, I'm not sure whether
that causes tires rubbing.  The 800 frame is wider than Scout II's so new
spring perchs would have to be welded to the Scout II axles.

Doug, (been there, done that)