Re: Published Scout GVWR's

On Fri, 06 Nov 1998 08:53 -0800 (PST) rebryant@domain.elided writes:

>       I've heard this theory somewhere before but I don't remember
>     all the details and it may not even be true, but it sounds
>     reasonable to me. It all goes back to the fact that Scout II's
>     are not trucks at all. They are "Station Wagons". It says so right
>     there on the registration :-). And to remain "Station Wagons", the
>     GVWR had to be under a certain rating and this is where my memory
>     starts clouding over so I don't remember the exact number but you
>     can bet it was very close to 6200.

The registration mentioned is an Arizona (I presume) document and there
was no official station wagon category the Scout was manufactured for.
In Indiana, we register them as either passenger cars or trucks,
sometimes the BMV says SW in the body type, but that's only for vehicle
identification purposes.

In the Federal regulations, there is a category of vehicles called
MPPV's--Multi Purpose Passenger Vehicles--that covers what we now call
SUV's that are a cross between trucks and passenger cars, although I
can't say exactly what qualifies a vehicle as an MPPV, but I'm sure a 3/4
ton Travelall or Suburban also qualify at well over 6200#.  6200# was the
magic number for exemption from catalytic converters from '75 thru '78,
which is the reason most of the manufacturers rated their 1/2T trucks as
6200# GVW's during those years.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]