Re: Re: Dana 20 Transfer Case Noise

John,

  I don't have a clue about your transfer case noise other than to say
there's something wrong (duh).

  Another point, though, about working on drive train components.
Elsewhere on the internet I had a discussion about the use of impact
wrenches for loosening and tightening nuts.  The concensus opinion among
"trained" mechanics was that impacts should never be used to loosen nuts
where any type of anti-friction bearing in the particular part might be
re-used.  Anti-friction refers to ball bearings and tapered roller
bearings.

  Of course, we've all used impacts to remove pinion yokes, etc.
Apparently not good practice.

  The impact from the wrenches can cause minor fracture and pitting in the
balls or races and lead to failure.   I was lead to believe later factory
manuals from various manufacturers contain this caution.

  Not that this has any thing to do with your current problem, I just
happened to be thinking about it now.

Doug