Starter and Towing

Reapers,
   I'm going to sneak two questions in one post.  First is a starter
problem.  About three nights ago, my '74 II/345/3spd decided not to start.
Took the family to dinner, ran to a friends house to pick up boxes.  Shut
the Scout down both times.  At my friends house, the truck gave no response
to the key.  I had good headlights and all accessories worked.  When I
turned the key to start, the lamps on the dash dimmed so I assume there was
some current draw going on.  No clicks or any noises - just the sound of
silence and an occasional cuss word or ten from me.  We were able to push
start the beast, so the key and column switches are probably working.  Lot's
of juice at the + terminal on the starter (yep - nearly welded that box-end
to the frame!)  What's the best way to isolate this problem?  Is there a
FAQ??  And if I've got to replace the relay, what's the best part to use???

Towing:  I know this one's been done a lot lately, but I've got a few
specific questions.  I driving from Seattle to Portland to take possession
of a '68 T'all.  The Fuel tanks and some part of the fuel lines are
Plugged/glazed and present owner says it's not driveable without running a
flex line into jerry cans lashed into the back.  Not a great plan IMHO!  The
T'all is a 2wd w/304.  Comes with an EXTRA 345, 727, and a DANA 4X?? front
end.
I will be towing with a 71 f-250 "Camper Special" with bumper hitch and the
Binder on a tow dolly.  I know that I'll need to drop the drive shaft, but
what other concerns?  I've also got the option of a flatbed single-axle
trailer to tow on.  Here's the questions:  1.  Tow dolly or Flatbed?  2.
Where should the spare parts go?  (T-all or Pickup?).  Can I buy a
lighting/running light kit a Wall-Mart and expect it to work?  Well, that's
enough bandwidth for now.  Any or all help would be great!

Mike Stenstrom