snow+chains

 Matt and Stacy Sopher <sopher@domain.elided> responded to:
 Jealousy and envy with the following:

>Not to rub it in, but I live about 10 minutes from some of the best
four
>wheeling I've seen. And oh about 30 minutes either way from great trail

>riding. Gotta love Grand Junction, Co. !
>Matt
Matt,
I lived in Glenwood Springs for two years and spent some time around
Grand Junction. I will have to agree Grand Junction is a wonderful place
to be, perhaps a little too warm in the summer for my taste but no lack
of good wheeling and other fun things to do and you can head up into the
Flat Tops to cool off.

All my gloating is not wasted.
Saturday I fired the Scout up at 5:30 AM,  locked the hubs but did not
engage the transfer case until I left the pavement (15 miles later). The
road was two 8 inch ruts in the snow and it was cold enough to provide
good traction so we were zipping along at 20 mph. The road climbs about
2000 feet in a series of easy switch backs that provide access to the
high country. The first challenge of the day was near the top of the
switch backs were wind had drifted the snow about 2-3 feet deep, a truck
had worked the drifts into what resembled a plowed field. When I arrived
on the scene there were 2 trucks chaining up and another trying to get
un-stuck after a failed attempt to get around them. I strapped that
fellow  (F-250) out in reverse with a 3 inch strap,  it took a few yanks
more than it should have because I did not have the chains on the front
(yet).
I am confident I could have made it through the tough spot without
chains but with more hunters arriving behind me I thought it would be
rude to waste time playing... so I got serious and chained the front
tires. After checking out some known Elk havens (which required too much
walking) I resigned myself to exploring un-tracked two tracks. most were
fairly mild but I did have to cross some puddles up to the rocker
panels, these puddles had an inch of ice on top. The chains beavered
right through that ice, as well as up some steep snow covered pitches
and dif dragging snow fields. I had some exciting moments when the rear
end broke loose and tried to pass me, rear end tried to  slide off the
trail into a lake, or when climbing out of the borrow pit back onto the
road(almost went over into the other ditch). All of the above can be
problems when you chain the front tires and not the back. I ran into a
friend (not literally) that day running chains on the rear only, his
problems were: he could not steer out of the ruts and had to back out of
the borrow pit when he pulled over to let rigs without chains get past.
All in all a wonderful day, temp in the 50's, no wind (is this
Wyoming?), fresh snow, and the mountains shining in their new white
coats.
The Elk are safe for now:-)

Willy
77 SS II
one set of chains, 40 feet of 3 inch strap, RE 8000, high lift, and a
shovel.