horse trailers

Tom H posed a question which I shall procede to not answer ;-)

>Perhaps you can be the one to tell me: Even with large, 4 horse
trailers, I
>always see just a bumper hitch rather than a class III or IV receive
hitch
>on the tow vehicle. AND, I never see equalizer bars. This doesn't make
>sense to me ....

Nor to me, The proper tool (IMHO) is a 3/4 or one ton truck with a goose
neck trailer. For more than two horses (I regularly haul 8-9) bumper
pull trailers are unweildey, seldom stable (pun intended), and rairly
used by serious horse folks, at least in this part of the country.

Trivia: the county I live in has 2 horses for every person, I don't own
any but have friends with 50+ and my employer has 35 (give or take).

>considering that four horses and a trailer could easily go
>6,000 to 10,000 lbs depending on size and construction of trailer,
amount
>of feed and tack your carrying as well as size of horses. That's
wheight
>right in the heavy duty class III or IV range WITH EQUALIZER required!
But
>I see simple bumper hitches on 1/2 ton pickups towing this type of rig
all
t>he time.

>Tom H

Sad but true, I have seen  horses killed and their owners injured
because they though they could get by for cheap... bumper hitch, 1/2 ton
truck with stock suspension, and non-functioning trailer breaks. Now
that is cruelty to animals (my opinion but you can share it if you
like).
I would rather go for overkill than roadkill.
I would pull a one horse trailer with my Scout (had to get some IHC in
here) but not without a class III hitch.

Willy
77 SS II

.