Re: 1 1/2 Ton Model

On Wed, 07 Oct 1998 21:58:10 -0600 William Cunningham
<slypigs@domain.elided> writes:

>Saw an add for a 1970 1 1/2 ton IHC truck and plan on looking at it,
>what will I be looking at? what should I be looking for?
>The add did not say what engine, what kind of bed, auto or manual. What
>model would  a 1 1/2 ton be? too small to be a Loadstar but 1 1/2 ton is
>not a pickup, is it?

That's probably a 1500 model series--sort of a cross between the light
line and the Loadstar.  It'll have a straight frame with the pickup cab
and drivetrain. GVW was in the 13,000 to 15,000# range.  Would you
believe the standard engine was the AMC 6-cyl (in the final years)?
Hopefully this is a V-8.  They came as a chassis and cab only, you
installed your own body--van, stake, dump, etc.  You might be able to
take a dually pickup box and make your own pickup.  I've seen that done
with a Loadstar, but it was never done from the factory.

>I have been out doing the search and rescue thing with my SS II, while
>we had ground teams (on foot), fixed wing aircraft and a helicopter
>working the search area it was decided that some of the more remote and
>obscure road heads needed to be checked out..... me, chose me... no one
>else wanted to have anything to do with the abusive, muddy, rocky,
>snowy. and steep roads to these road (trail) heads so the task fell to
>me and the SS II and our ranch manager on an ATV.

Sure, tell use more when you get the time.

Howard Pletcher
Howteron Products Scout Parts

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]