Gauge Information

I think I must have all bad sending units, but in case I don't can anyone tell
me the correct way the electric gauges should be wired?  I have a hot going to
my alt to provide power for all then a little jumper wire that connects all of
the gauges together.  Then a wire to each sender.  Should work but no fuel,
oil or temp, alt works.  Fuel always reads 1/2 tank, full or empty, so I guess
its right once in a while <g>. Temp is the same way.   No oil action though.
It'd be nice to have these things actually work, anybody know if the wires are
right, do I just need new senders?  Is this some sort of resistence thing?
Any help is appreciated.
Brian '65 D1200 4x4 345 4bbl 4.11 the "Taxi"