My master cylinder

Bill,
   Sorry for the abreviated answer to your reply. I was baking a butter
cake and was answering your post while waiting for the butter to melt. I
was in a bit of a rush.
   Anyway, the gasket on the MC is air-tight as you say, that is to keep
the moisture out, again as you said. As the fluid level gets low in the
resivoir, the vacumn created pulls the gasket down into the resivoir. If
the gasket wasn't made to do that it would probably rip.
   In addition to that, I had a Maverick that I ripped the gasket in. I
had very little pedal pressure because of this. When I replaced the
gasket it came back to where it should be. This, I think, is because the
wasn't any vacumn pressure on the surface of the fluid. OOOO perfect
example, what is a better machine, a gravity feed sand blaster or a
vacumn sealed pressure blaster? Why? The gravity feed would be
equivilant to a MC with-out a gasket or a ripped gasket. You will get
some fluid out of the resivoir on each pass of the piston, but not a
full pistons worth. But, if the surface of the fluid was pressurised,
then as the piston goes past the opening at the bottom of the resivoir
the fluid is forced into the piston.
  Does this make sense?

Dan Nees
cookiedan@domain.elided
1979 Scout II 345, 727, D44's w/3.07's, 4" Triangle lift.
1971 Scout II 304, D30/44, D20, power steering.

Now with Pictures!