Re: Tom's grinning & motor

>>when I took it apart, I tore the main metering block gasket in
>Put your hands on the keyboard...
>*WHACK*
>Now don't withold information anymore  :)

*ouch*!

>Here's my take on it:
>At idle and small throttle openings, that tear let little or no fuel drip
>past.  But at & near WOT the fuel gets sucked right through; running into
>#'s 5 & 6.

OK, in my defense tho'....

AFTER taking the carb off (at 11:30 or so last night?) and cleaning the OEM
gasket (No, not the 25yr old one, the one from 2 years ago when I bought
this carb new)... the only thing I touched before was the FUEL BOWL gasket,
and I took one main jet out (#61).  I removed the jet again, and reseated,
and put my new *reusable* gasket in place.

It's running rough now... surging.. I think the float may have been
mis-adjusted during the rough handling...

I'm going to have lunch at NAPA... :-)  I assume I can buy a hand full of
valve stem seals for almost nothing... I'm also going to buy a valve spring
compressor/tool (should be a cheap tool, special pair of pliers basically,
right?)... might have to get a pair of spare lifters, too...

If all goes well, I'll get home tonight, drain the oil/ATF while I remove
the carb... I'll take the metering block off, too, and dip it in my
cleaner... I don't have a new kit, so I'll just clean it up and
reassemble... not sure if I put my 58 jets in now or wait 'till later.

While the carb dips and the oil drips, I'll pull the valve covers and take a
peek... maybe pull the springs and look at the valves and seals on at least
5 & 6... or, since I'm in there, do I just change all of the seals (assuming
they're cheap.. now, if I find out valve stem seals are $5 per.... I don't
think so!).

It could be that the main metering block gasket is somewhat gummed up or
something... the motor sat for over a year without being run.... the carb
was brand new just before that.

Thanks,

-Tom (hoping he can get this all fixed up tonight.. and maybe get some sleep...)