Re: Tom's carb

>A carb rebuild would be cheap and easy and fit right in with several of the
>diagnoses that have been provided here. Plus, you're working with an
>unknown quantity right now. Rebuilding it would give you a known quantity.

Thought about this.  OTOH, the carb is 2 years and 8k miles old.  It's a new
aftermarket Holley 2300 2bbl, purchased because the original carb (after 3
failed attempts to rebuild by yours-truly) was not salvageable (turns out
the base plate was cracked, so even if I put it together right, it wouldn't
have worked)

>Just be sure to use the good carb soak/cleaner. The kind that takes the
>skin right off your hands (use a "basket" - small can, holes in bottom -
>for the parts into the one gallon carb cleaner can.

I have one of those... never even opened the lid... I bought it to rebuild
the 1bbl on the 196, but instead I bought a complete N.O.S. carb for $.26
less than the rebuild kit...

I'll see what I can do about the innards of the carb, too.

-Tom