Re: Comer's disc brake conversion

<<<<<<<Argus was an 8-bolt conversion?>>>>>>>

Nope.  I checked out Argus at the Nats.  Drums at all four corners.  I read
the Binder Bulletin 1100 series disc conversion article on Nats Sun morn.
Cool article, nice job Bill.  After reading the article, I wondered if the
same procedure could be used with late 70's F250 hubs (I think these were
mostly closed knuckle D44s) to get 8 bolt disks?  Which 3/4 ton rotor would
have the correct offset? (remember the BB picture, scout rotors have less
offset than F150 rotors).  A while back I seem to remember Tom M saying he
used 76 F250 calipers on his scout?  What about F250 calipers, rotors, and
hubs?

Later in the day I was walking by Argus (a pre 74 1210 with 4 drums) and
wondered if Comer had converted his tow rig.  I looked and he still had
drums up front.  Now, Comer is a top notch mechanic and can probably set up
his drums to stop OK, but I'm a shade-tree mechanic and would rather work
on discs, less skill required.

So, Chris, Bill, and other Truck nuts, I'm real interested in an 8 bolt
disk conversion.  I see all kinds of possibilities here.  For example:

Convert my 71 1110 4x4 Travelall (D44s front & rear) from 5 bolt drum to 8
bolt disc in front, toss an IH, Frd, Chv, Dge, or Jeep J-20 3/4 ton axle in
the back, run P235/85R16s, and have one heck of a tow rig.

Convert my 70 1200 4x4 PU (D44 front, D60 rear) from 8 bolt drum to 8 bolt
disc up front.
Convert my 60 A-120 4x4 PU (D44 front, IH corp rear) from 6 on 7 1/2 drum
to 8 bolt disk. (Non split rim 6 on 7 1/2 wheels are very hard to find)

Many of IH's 3/4 ton 4x4s used a closed knuckle D44 up front.  Basically
the same as the 1/2 ton D44, but 8 bolt drums, instead of 5 bolt drums.

What u all think?

Dave Read