Re: Rubber window gaskets

Tom H.,

I just replaced the clear vinyl covered inlay in the black rubber gasket,
known as the "locking strip" on my '73 Travelall, this last weekend.

The new material is available from any good auto glass shop.  It is used on
a wide variety of vehicles from '70's Ford to '80's BMW.  But it was not
cheep.  My wife paid $38 for the new strip (didn't shop around).

BTW this strip is not just decoration.  It holds the window in the gasket.
Without it the widow would fall out with a good speed bump, I suspect.

Removal is simple but installation is almost impossible with a locking strip
installation tool.  These are $3.99 at Harbor Freight on line, and $12.99 at
my local auto parts store.

Although this cost more that I planned, It sure looks good now.

Good luck,

David Brown  '73 Travelall 392/727